Thursday, February 5, 2009

Some Thoughs...


First, thanks so much, friends and family, for all of the feedback on my pregnancy pictures. It is really wonderful to have you all sharing in our excitement over this baby!

I have a little something to say about Bennett. I have been pretty nervous about him transitioning into big-brotherhood. I am actually feeling much better about all of it-maybe a sign that we are ready? Still, the things that have been swirling in my crazy pregnant mind have been exhausting at times!

Here is what I know: I know that he is a sweet-natured boy, and I know that he will be a great big brother. I also know that this is a normal transition that most of us go through at some point in life. We all survive. And he will too. I know these things, rationally. I still worry, though, about how all of those instant changes will affect him, especially in the beginning. He will often have to wait for Rob or me to finish changing/nursing/helping his little sister instead of droppping everything to attend to him. He will no longer always be the star or the center of things. He will worry what all the crying is about (our empathetic son can't stand sadness or crying). He will probably have trouble sleeping in our small house with this sometimes noisy new addition. And ofcourse at some point he will wonder why Mommy is more tired-and possibly-a little grumpier than she used to be (just keeping it real).

I think I have spent about as much time thinking about how Bennett will do when we are at the hospital as I have about bringing Miss Elodie into the world. Will he wake up if it is the middle of the night and be totally confused about where his parents are? If so, will that make him mad at his innocent little sister for causing all of the rucus? Oh, the concerns go on and on...

But then I think about how she will eventually-maybe even instantly-bring tons of joy into his world. There will come a day when he won't remember his life with out her, and he probably will not want to. They will become buddies, playmates, confidantes, and hopefully really good friends. I think about my two sisters -and cousin who is like a sister- and all of the love, lessons, and friendship that we have shared. They have made my life so much richer; there is no other relationship like the one shared between siblings.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Ofcourse there will be some bumps, but I think overall he will be thankful for this little girl...even if she doesn't do much more than sleep and poop in the beginning.

Here is a (completely unrelated) video of our vastly talented son whistling. You may have to turn your volume way up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and I should know - sisters are the best! He's going to love her, and we all can't wait to meet her. I'm especially excited that once she comes we'll get to see Bennett - he's growing up too fast so far away!

Miss y'all...

Mom Ryan said...

Well, I was always the "little sister", but I learned so much from my big brothers! I'm sure that Bennett will teach her lots of wonderful stuff, and she will be crazy about him. Getting antsy to meet her.....I'm sure you are, too! := ) Hang in there!

Thomas Clan said...

so cute, love the whistle!! And yes of course he will be such an amazing big brother and will love little Elodie more than we can imagine and oh so quickly he really won't remember life without that precious girl. :)

Colleen said...

Aw, thanks sister! Of course it will be an adjustment for him, but he's already dealt with some major adjustments gracefully! And of course he will love her like crazy, and I'm sure he will be excited about his new role as big brother! Can't wait to see all of you! Love you guys.