Wednesday, September 17, 2008

O.k., Here's the Big News...

But first, I have to start with a story.

A couple of months ago, I brought up a name that I had fallen in love with when I was pregnant with Bennett. Rob said, "I love it, that's her name, and we are having a girl." I was shocked for two reasons: 1. Rob totally dismissed this name a couple of years ago (to that he responded, "that's because we were having a boy; this time it's a girl." That brings me to my second point. When Rob is this sure about something, I have never known him (in 9 years!) to be wrong. So since then, the two of us have been sure that we are having a girl.

The last time I saw my doctor, she reminded me that ultrasound results (boy/girl) are not 100% correct. She told me that if it is a girl, they are more easily certain than they are for boys, because with boys the technicians can mistake shadows of the ambilical cord for his little part. So today, we went in for our big ultrasound. We asked the technician to write boy or girl down on a card for us. She said that she was at least 80% sure what the baby was, because of the shadows she saw; she said she it was pretty clear what "was there." So we left the building, card in hand (still had not looked at it), and we were shocked that, after being so convinced that it was a girl, we were probably having a boy . We went out to breakfast, and pulled out the card, only to be shocked again, to see the "It's a...." followed by a:

GIRL!!!

We are so thrilled!!! So, after all the build up about her name, here it is:

Elodie Grace Markley

Every time I said her name out loud today (which was a lot) Bennett would get a big smile on his face and say "El-lo-lee" with all his might. So cute! We told him that Elodie (pronounced L-O-D) is his baby sister's name, the baby he saw a picture of (ultrasound). He then would just stare at us, and try to play along that he thoroughly understood what the heck we were talking about. Even cuter.

We are so thankful for our little baby girl, and it is exciting to be able to pray for her now, knowing who she is-thanks, God! We can't wait to meet her!

9 comments:

Colleen said...

Yay!! I can't wait to meet her! I'll have two nephews and two nieces now! Amazing!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for the three of you. Congrats and I think her name is very sweet. she will love it.Now I have two great granddaughters the nebraska grams

Travis Avila said...

We are so excited for you guys. Beautiful name as well! We love you all.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I'm so happy for the 4 of you! Elodie Grace is a beautiful name. Have Bennett give her a kiss for me! Noni

Mom Ryan said...

Well, guess all the "girl" predictors were right on! Can't wait to meet our little Elodie!!
Very exciting...

Love to all the Markleys!

Anonymous said...

how fun...loved reading the news! and that's an incredible name. i absolutely love it- where did you hear it? is there any kind of story behind it?
congratulations, so happy for your growing family.

Thomas Clan said...

Schmell and Rob and Bennett, Congrats on your new baby girl, sweet little Elodie Grace!! We can't wait to meet her, she will be oh so beautiful and Bennett you are a great big brother. Luke and Asher can give you pointers any time. We love you all and can't wait to see you.
xox The Thomas Clan :)

Anonymous said...

I love the name. I'm already trying to decide what my nickname for her will be. Elle ... Ellie ... This is fun :-) I read that Elodie in French means "foreign wealth". Not sure what that means for our girl, but it sounds good!!! Can't wait till we can get down to Long Beach ... soon ... soon

Linda Z said...

Congrats!! :) Her name reminds me of the word melody which fits you both very well, I think!