Sunday, September 21, 2008

Elodie Grace Markley

Kelly alluded briefly to the origin of her name, so I'll fill you all in on the whole story. I'm not sure if anybody knows this about us, but Kelly and I have a little hobby. That's right, we dabble a bit in the musical arts. Well, one such artist that we particularly enjoy is a bright young fellow by the name David Mead. As musicians are wont to do, Mr. Mead has written a song. In fact, he's written quite a few, but let's just focus on one song in particular.

Before we knew that Bennett was a HE, Kelly and I spent quite a few nights finding the perfect name for our child. For those of you out there without kids, let me tell you: this is no small feat. Not only do the mommy and daddy have to agree, but they are committing this child to that name for the REST OF THEIR LIFE. That's a long time!

I digress; among our girl names was Elodie. At the time I did not care for this name. Great song, cool musician, not my kid's name. As soon as we found Bennett, we fell in love with the name and stopped looking for boy names. This time around, Kelly tried to sneak Elodie back into the mix. This time, it floored me. When I heard the name again, I absolutely knew this would be our child's name. I was so sure, in fact, that I refused to consider boy's names. Even before our 20-week ultrasound, I was convinced we were having a girl and that her name was Elodie.

Follow this link for a short sample of the song (just give it a second, the song will play on it's own). Sorry I can't get you all a longer version, but if you find yourself near Long Beach, stop in and I'll play it for you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the back story!! Josh convinced me to choose another special girl's name by singing Elvis Costello's song (off-key, not pretty) over and over again.

Still so excited to buy girl clothes, it's on the list for this week!

Soderin Family said...

love the story! and i love the name. i cannot wait to meet beautiful little elodie. ok, off to listen to the song.

Mom Ryan said...

I'd like to hear more during my visit to Long Beach, or when you come to CV. Grammy has already started shopping... Thanks for the story; hopefully she will be as cute & charming as her big brother! Oh yes, and can dance, too. He can show her his moves.

Mom Ryan said...

Hi Kel, Happy Monday!!
Glad you don't think I'm a little nutty writing on the Avila blog. I took something seriously that he says was a joke?? Anyway, I'm worried that I'm getting addicted. After a week with no Bennett photos, I start to get the shakes!!?? Have a good week!
Love you,

The Harper Family said...

I love the name and the story makes it even better.