Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Things We'll Miss


Naturally, since we have been here in the bay area, we have thought a lot about what we left behind. We are really pleased to be in the northern part of Cali., and to be settled and through with moving around (Lord willing!). It is just all part of the process, though, to look back a little and think of all that we experienced in our previous home. For one thing, Long Beach will always be Bennett's birth place. I will never forget walking endlessly in our first neighborhood with our tiny newborn. That was pretty much all we did was walk around and explore, since we didn't know anyone. The beach was only about six blocks from our house, so we went there often. We eventually settled in and made friends-it felt like it took forever. Looking back, it really didn't take that long.

I became part of a mom's group, and that gave Bennett and I something to do. Later on, in a class Bennett took, I met my friend Christy. For some reason our friendship totally took me by surprise-and it was such a sweet surprise. I have never mentioned Christy on our blog before, probably mainly because she is not a fellow blogger. She and her son Wiley were a big part of our everyday life in L.B, and both Bennett and I have really been missing them since we left. Bennett often asks if Wiley will be there when we go to our "new park", and he has even asked to email Wiley a couple of times :). Christy is also pregnant with baby number 2, only about 6 weeks behind me. While we are/were both busy chasing our boys, we always found time to hang out. I am really going to miss our regular visits, and the much needed breaks that we provided eachother. Whether at the park, farmer's market, one of our homes, etc., our friendship provided a little sanity when life became a little too centered around toddler and baby living.

Anyway, I didn't plan on writing a whole dedication to Christy and Wiley, that just sort of happened. But here are some pictures of the things we will miss:


The Randalls (sis. and fam.)
It goes without saying. It has not quite
sunk in for me yet how far we are from them...ugh.
Bennett cried, actually cried when he couldn't go see Ally
our first day here.

Beach time

Buddies!
Bennett's first friend, Tyler

Bennett's good friend, Olivia, a.k.a. "O."

Playing with O

Our playgroup (not everyone is pictured).
Most of us moms were either pregnant
or had a newborn. This is a great group
of ladies!

Evan

...and ofcourse:

Wiley!

Christy and Wiley






Here's to good friends, good times, and a happy first 2 years of life in the L.B.C.!

6 comments:

Colleen said...

Cute pics! That was a nice tribute. You should do one for Brooklyn someday. :)

Linda Z said...

Sweet memories. And I love it when God gives the gift of an unexpected friend! :) I look forward to hearing all about your new memories.

Mom Ryan said...

First friends for Bennett are very special, and I know you will miss your family and friends from So. Cal. It takes time to meet people, but it will happen -- especially with Mr. Social in your life!

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

OK - so, it might be sinking in now, because I cried more than I care to admit when I looked through the pics and read that Bennett missed Ally that much! Even though we didn't see you guys as much as we wanted, it was really awesome being able to when we wanted. We were going to go to the Spectrum on MLKs bday and I was picking up the phone to call you. I realized you weren't here anymore right about the same time Ally said "it's really a bummer that Bennett can't meet us there to play anymore.

Sigh...

Colleen said...

I was just watching a show about sisters, and I got a little teary eyed. Then I looked at Tara's comment, and actually started to cry a little bit. And she and I are not even the pregnant ones! Ha ha. Miss you, sister. I will keep the dream alive that someday our whole family will be near each other.

Thomas Clan said...

Schmell, you are so sweet. And I agree with Colleen, great pics. God will provide you with awesome new friends...and some old ones too. wanna be neighbors??? ok!! :) just wish it were sooner.